By Josh Alsip on June 12, 2020
Visit Indiana Golf is highlighting the best 18 golf holes from 18 different public golf courses across the Hoosier State. Hole 14 of Indiana’s Signature 18 can be found on The Pfau Course at Indiana University. It officially opened to the public on June 15!
After about 2 and 1/2 years of developing the Pfau Course, it’s now ready! The new course is located on the same land as the old IU Championship Golf Course. Designed by highly acclaimed architect Steve Smyers and two-time major winner and Hoosier native Fuzzy Zoeller, it offers a unique, world-class layout set in the natural beauty of southern Indiana.
Each hole of the course totally differs from the prior layout. There’s a woodland feel on the front nine with Scottish link elements on the back nine. It plays as a par-71 from a maximum of 7,908 yards and a minimum of 4,586 yards. Almost 150 eye-catching bunkers turn Pfau into a unique golfing experience!
Featuring a state-of-the-art massive short game practice area and two driving range spots, the Pfau Course also offers the finest practice facilities in the area to develop your game. IU’s men’s and women’s golf teams will use the course, but it’s open to the public.
The 14th hole at The Pfau Course can play anywhere from 268 yards to 459 yards. Smyers designed a sharp dogleg right with ten deep bunkers that guard the right side of the fairway. From the forward tees, this hole can play as a risk-reward drivable hole. From the back tees, it’s a strong par 4 that begins with a daunting tee shot, and there’s no shame in recording a bogey-5 from this position.
Safety measures have been implemented by the course to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. These include, but are not limited to:
– Golfers must remain at least 6 feet apart from others.
– Face coverings should be worn when physical distancing is difficult to maintain.
– Tee times must be booked in advance online. Green fees must be paid with credit or debit cards.
– A maximum of four golfers per group is allowed.
– One person only per cart unless two people live in the same household.
– Guests are asked to arrive no more than 25 minutes before tee time and depart immediately after the round concludes.
Now, get out and enjoy the new course!